Friday, March 15, 2013

I have Luigi's Balls!

Bet that got your attention, didn't  it! *giggle*


I've managed to get my hands on a very awesome item that is now part of Disney history. 

Many of you eagerly awaited the opening of Carsland this past summer and were excited to finally be able to experience the type of attraction that once graced the Tomorrowland of yesteryear.  At last we'd get a glimpse of the beloved Flying Saucers that opened in Disneyland in 1961 by way of Luigi's Flying Tires in Disney's California Adventure.

Source

When this attraction first opened in summer of 2012 it was an enTIRE-ly (see what I did there?) different experience.  Guests would float around on huge oversized hover tires and bounce off each other in a round arena.  Added to the fun were giant oversized beach balls proudly bearing the flag colors of Luigi's home country. Italy! If any of you weren't able to get there this summer, it was quite the experience trying to use your weight for movement and simultaneously try to reach for beach balls, all the while avoiding being hit in the face by more flying through the air! It was a blast! 

But Luigi's Flying Tires hasn't closed.  Why do you say it's part of Disney history?

Unfortunately, the powers that be nixed the giant beach balls in August of that same summer.  They only lasted just a few months. 


Why would Disney remove them if they were so fun?


A Disney spokesperson stated at the time "We regularly make modification's to attractions to provide guests with the best possible experience"  What I take that to mean in simple terms is - people were getting smacked in the face with giant balls and didn't think it was very fun.  I heard from cast members that the attraction had the most incident reports out of all the resort and most were from the beach balls.

It wasn't uncommon to see this happening on one side of the attraction during the ride.  It didn't personally happen to me, but I'd be a little bit overwhelmed if it did LOL 

source

So unfortunately, Luigi was neutered, so to speak. 


Fortunately!  I have connections and was able to get a hold of something pertaining to my long intro in this post.  This past week while cruising Instagram, my feed let me in on a little Disney secret.  Cast members had access to purchase the unused, packaged beach balls from the attraction!  And it just so happened that I was in the right place and the right time to go get one! ... or two... ok, I got THREE! 

I now have possession of the historical beach balls that caused so much commotion and apparent injury on this attraction.  They will be safely stored inside their packaging and I have no inclination to take them out and use them.  


Luigi's famous beach balls 

So there ya have it! If anyone was wondering what happened to all the beach balls, they were put in a giant bin and sent over to Company D for Cast members to purchase.  If you want to grab some and don't know any Cast Members, I suggest you make friends QUICK! There were lots of them but plenty of CMs were on their way to Company D to buy. 


Hope you guys all have a GREAT weekend! Hit the parks and enjoy the new Fantasy Faire that opened up! 


1 comment:

  1. Aw, those beach balls look like fun :) I haven't had a chance to make it to Cars Land yet, so I honestly didn't even know they had resurrected the Flying Saucers! That was one ride I always wished was still in Tomorrowland. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing!

    Follow my Cast Member journey at lizzieindisney.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete